Materials Testing Laboratory Technician
The Material Testing Technician prepares and executes the testing of ceramic specimens and maintains laboratory instruments and equipment. Successful candidate must be dependable, have a positive attitude, willing to learn and able to follow standard ASTM procedures.
- Prepare specimens following standard procedures
- Operate specimen preparation equipment including but not limited to masonry saws, drill presses, and surface grinders
- Conduct physical property measurements of specimens per standard procedures
- Maintain multiple work orders ranging in size from single tests to multiple test programs
- Organize and track specimen ID over the course of months at a time
- Routinely record test data and observations
- As necessary, perform calibration of instrumentation
- As necessary, maintain and repair equipment, machinery, and furnaces
Essential skills and experience:
- Work in a safe manner while using high temperature furnaces, chemicals, and machining equipment
- Good organizational skills and ability to communicate work status and issues to supervisor
- Ability to make precise measurements, document test data/observations, and maintain records
- General laboratory skills including knowledge of standard laboratory practices
- Technical skills related to physical property testing of ceramic and related materials
- Ability to multi-task effectively with frequent interruption
- Computer skills: MS Office, Excel, data acquisition software, and e-mail
- Ability to function in a team environment and work independently
- Understand importance of test results for the customer
Technical degree or better in engineering or related field or equivalent experience
For confidential consideration, please email your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com
This is a fulltime non-exempt position offering competitive wages and benefits. Successful candidate must pass pre-employment screening and background check. Orton is a drug free and tobacco free workplace.
About The Edward Orton Jr. Ceramic Foundation:
Located in Westerville, Ohio, The Orton Materials Testing & Research Center is an independent testing laboratory, specializing in the evaluation of refractory, glass, whiteware, carbon, insulation, and advanced ceramic materials. It is operated by The Edward Orton Jr. Ceramic Foundation, a non-profit organization providing products and services to the ceramic community since 1896.
FROM THE BLOG...
01/18/2019New Laboratory Training Course Announced
LABORATORY TRAINING - THERMAL PROPERTIES OF REFRACTORIES - March 19, 20 & 21, 2019 A Three Day Course...
ADVANCED THERMAL PROPERTIES OF REFRACTORIES - October 29 & 30, 2018 A Two Day Course Sponsored by...
In response to industry demand, Orton is offering a series of new short courses dealing with refractories...