Autofire Express Products
The AutoFire Express is a variable PID controller with a smaller footprint than the AutoFire3000; designed primarily for smaller kilns with many of the same advanced firing features. The standard Autofire Express utilizes only a Type K thermocouple input for operation to 2400°Fand has optimized PID selection for Brick or Fiber insulated kilns.
The Autofire Express has multiple function capabilities. This gives the controller the flexibility that kiln manufacturers and operators prefer. Every controller includes multiple software configurations that are specialized for a variety of applications. The controller can be switched between different operational modes for Ceramic Art, Jewelry, PMC or Glass Art applications. In addition to having the most popular preset programs for various applications the Autofire Express is an ideal set-point controller and allows the operator to program and save customized firing schedules for multiple step kiln firings.
The Autofire Express allows up to 9 user defined programs. Each program can contain up to 8 heating or cooling rates, 8 target temperatures and 8 hold periods.
The Autofire Express controller is now available with optional Type R and Type S thermocouple input.
The Autofire Express includes a secondary relay output that can function as an additional heater relay output or a safety relay output.
The Autofire Express controller is available as a panel mount component for kiln/control box assembly or as a complete stand-alone control box package.
Need a software Update? The current Software version is 9H-1.
Cone-Fire Method: When the controller is configured for Ceramic Art. The controller provides quick selection of preset Cone programs from Cone 022 to Cone 10. These programs are designed specifically for ceramic firings that require specific heat-work to properly bend an Orton Pyrometric Cone. Every Cone-fire program allows the operator to set an optional hold time at the final heating temperature for additional heat-work if desired. Every cone-fire program also allows the operator to select an optional firing speed that can shorten or lengthen the firing time by 20% for large or small kiln loads. Heat-work adjustments are automatically calculated and final firing temperatures are automatically determined by the controller based on actual kiln performance. This ensures the kiln firing will produce the perfect results even as the kiln ages and conditions change.
In addition to the Cone-fire programs, this mode of operation also provides four 8-step user programs for customized firing schedules.
Wax Burn-out Programs: When the controller is configured for Jewelry, you can select one of three preset firing schedules for 5 hour, 8 hour or 12 hour firing cycles. This firing cycles heat to 1350F with a controlled cooling cycle to a 900F hold temperature. Each program allows adjustment of the 900F final hold temperature.
In addition to the Jewelry Burn-out programs, this mode of operation also provides four 8-step user programs for customized firing schedules.
Precious Metal Clay (PMC)
PMC Jewelry Programs: When the controller is configured for PMC, you can select one of 5 preset firing schedules for PMC, PMC+ or PMC Gold. All preset programs are fixed firing cycles that cannot be changed.
In addition to the PMC programs, this mode of operation also provides four 8- step user program for a customized firing schedules.
Set-point Programs: When the controller is configured as a set- point controller, you can select one of 5 preset firing speeds. All preset speed programs allow the operator to set a single heating temperature and optional hold time.
In addition to the Set-point programs, this mode of operation also provides four 8-step user programs for customized firing schedules.
User Programs: When the controller is configured for only User programs, this allows the operator to program and save up to 9 separate firing schedules with user defined heating and cooling rates, target temperatures and hold times. This method can be used for Glass fusing or Glass Slumping or any other kiln firing application which requires flexibility.
- Delay start: Allows you to postpone the start of the firing cycle up to 100 hours.
- Full On / Full Off: User Program option to heat the kiln as fast as possible or to cool as fast as possible.
- Indefinite Hold periods: Programming option to hold the kiln at temperature indefinitely.
- Program Skip Step: Allows the operator to end the current program step and advance to the next heating or cooling step.
- Program temperature edit: Allows the operator to edit the current heating or cooling temperature without interrupting the kiln firing.
- Program Hold time edit: Allows the operator to lengthen the current hold period time without interrupting the kiln firing.
- Thermocouple Offset: Allows the operator to adjust the temperature display accuracy by as much as ±25°C (±45°F) to offset aging thermocouple(s).
- Program Review: Allows the operator to Review the entire firing schedule before or during a firing.
- Temperature Units: Allows the operator to set the display Temperature units in Fahrenheit (°F) or Centigrade (°C).
- Threshold Alarm: Allows the operator to program an audible alarm that notifies when the kiln has reached a working temperature.
- Thermocouple Alarms: Notifies the user of a defective thermocouple or a thermocouple that is connected with reverse polarity.
- Power Fail Recovery: Allows the kiln to resume the firing when power interruptions occur from thunderstorms or accidental shut-down.
- Safety Temperature limits: Allows the kiln manufacturer to set a limitation to the top programmable firing temperature.
Input Voltage: 24vac center-tap transformer (50/60Hz)
Voltage Tolerance: + 10% to -20%
Operating Current: 200ma
Operating Temperature: 0°C to 70°C (32°F to 158°F)
Programmable Temperature Range: 0°C to 1315°C (32°F to 2400°F)
Output Voltage: 2 Channels @ 12vdc/200ma
Display Resolution: 1°C or F
Analog to Digital Resolution: 24 bit
Accuracy: +/- 2°C
Orton AF Express Stand-alone controllers are a great addition for manually operated kilns to provide accurate temperature control and monitoring. Stand-alone Models are compatible with most brands of small electric kilns and can be supplied with a variety of power cords and kiln receptacles for plug-n-play installation.
AF Express Stand-alone controllers come in wall-mount enclosures which are designed to sit near the kiln on a workbench or shelf. A thermocouples which measure the kiln temperature is included with a 6ft. wire extensions. Automatic controllers offer improved performance, repeatability and accurate kiln firing result. Orton controllers are manufactured with quality components and backed by a 1 year controller warranty.
- Ratings of 15 or 20 Amps
- 120 or 240volt
- Preset Programs
- User defined Programs
- Easy installation
- Attractive enclosures
- Type K, S or R Thermocouple
Standard power cords and receptacles
A few questions to help you select a stand-alone Orton controller:
- What is the voltage and current rating for the kiln?
The controller will need to be equipped with components to handle the electrical load of the kiln.
- What type of power cord and receptacle is needed on the controller?
A variety of cord sets can be substituted at no additional charge.
- What type of kiln firings do you use the most?
The controller can be factory configured with unique preset programs for a variety of applications including Ceramic Art, Glass Art, Jewelry and PMC.
- Where can you purchase Orton controllers?
Visit the Orton Online Store, Contact any authorized reseller or Orton distributor, or call Orton directly.
FROM THE BLOG...
Measuring Flexural Creep of Ceramic Investment Casting Shells Understanding the creep behavior...
5 Ceramic Products That Changed the World! When you think of ceramics, many people may flash...
01/22/2018Orton Welcomes New General Manager!
The Board of Trustees of the Edward Orton Jr. Ceramic Foundation announces the retirement of its General...