The Orton Materials Testing and Research Center is a full service, independent, non-profit, research and testing laboratory that specializes in measuring the behavior of ceramic materials. The Testing Center performs physical properties tests, thermal analysis measurements, and provides consulting services on ceramics and other related materials.
Initially, MTRC was known as The Refractories Fellowship Laboratory, which was established in 1917 at the Mellon Institute in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was relocated to The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio in 1965 and renamed the Refractory Research Center. Since 1990, the Center has been operated by the Edward Orton Jr. Ceramic Foundation.
The MTRC occupies approximately 10,000 of Orton’s 35,000 sq. ft. facilities located in Westerville, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. Orton also works closely with other organizations for testing and consulting services not available in its laboratories.
Testing projects are reviewed for requirements and assigned to one of the MTRC engineers, who consults with the customer as needed. Qualified technicians are assigned individual testing tasks.
Results are sent to the customer by email as soon as all testing is completed.
Fulfilling the directive of our founder and benefactor, the Edward Orton Jr. Ceramic Foundation deploys its profits to support studies and research at the university level to promote and advance the science of materials processing.